Monday, May 4, 2009

Fuzzie Wuzzie!

Yesterday we had a great seafood lunch/dinner at a friend's house. Alberto is from Spain, loves to cook, and makes the most delicious paella ever. I couldn't eat any of it (to be detailed later), but we really enjoyed ourselves!

Afterward, we went to the USA film fest to see a movie called Don McKay with Thomas Haden Church and Elisabeth Shue. The director reminded me of my brother because he was so young and had written the film as well. It just aired at TriBeCa, and I don't think has a distributor yet. I love it when you get to talk with the director and the actors. It is like having an interactive Special Features DVD after the movie!

I shaved my head toward the end of February right after my 3rd chemo treatment because I was shedding like a Persian cat. Although my head was always stubbly and rough afterwards, it never grew at all and unlike my husband, I do not need maintenance shaves to keep the Mr. Clean look.

But now it is growing in a bit, so I have blondish soft peach fuzz all over my noggin. I can't stop touching it! I actually miss my hair quite a bit. I forget sometimes that I don't have any, and I try to stick a pen in my bun or take out my non-existent ponytail before going to bed.

I went to an acupuncturist a friend of mine who also had cancer recommended, mainly to improve my quality of life from the effects of chemo and these horrible hot flashes I am getting from the shutdown of my ovaries. Menopause is going to be awful if this is any preview for it.

Upon his recommendation,I have changed my diet considerably. After hearing from all different people for months, both amateurs and experts in both Western and Eastern medicine that my diet is something that needs a major revamping, I decided to take their advice. Several of them are also people who were Stage IV and now are in remission against all odds.

So, I am becoming what I call a Cancer-Vegan, avoiding any and all products that have been linked to cell cancer cell growth.

Basically, this entails the major tenants of vegan eating (not vegan living, mind you, still love my leather shoes, belts, toothpastes, and all that stuff with animal products in it), and the avoidance of products that are high on the glycemic index, such as white breads, pasta, and potatoes.

Why is a high glycemic index bad? Foods that have a high glycemic index promote the production of insulin, which promotes the growth of some types of cancer. Yes, I know there are studies that are inconclusive. I have looked at evidence on both sides, but you know what, we all know whole grains are better than refined ones, and if there is a chance that it will extend my life, then I prefer to make that bet.

The vegan thing has been quite interesting. It is so easy now to be vegan (Whole Foods everywhere, vegan restaurants), and now that I got it into my head that my high consumption of cheese and meat could be causing this cancer, I don't really have an urge to eat it at all. My brother has been a fish-eating vegetarian for years, although he breaks his diet on holidays like Easter and Christmas, and it isn't that hard.

I got a great cookbook which has provided lots of information for those starting out on the Vegan trail called The Complete Vegan Kitchen. While all the recipes don't apply because I am also shunning any kind of sweets and refined grains, it is great for a vegan beginner.

I have also been learning tons about spelt, millet, and other birdseed that I need to start consuming.I haven't made any recipes yet, but will post them if I deem them worthy.

1 comment:

  1. Hey, Dana. Do you work with a social worker? Or can you join a "young adults with cancer" group? During the treatment, they helped me a lot. Even if there isn't any, I am sure you can form a group , or informally meet up in person or electronically.

    ReplyDelete