Sunday, February 8, 2009

been so busy!

Okay tons going on, will give a quick synopsis!

Thursday
- I had a PET scan. Was not allowed to eat anything but protein for 24 hours before, and then they injected me with something radioactive and told me I was not allowed to go near pregnant women and young children. Uh . . .okay.

The nurse (male) tried to flirt with after and asked if I wanted to see my images, so I was like, "sure." He showed me, but then he got really quiet, I got to see that I have cancer in three lymph nodes. Having studied PET scans before my test, it was easily recongizable. So much for the flirting, huh?

My scan kind of looked like this.

So after going home and drinking wine, I confirmed my photo shoot for the next day. A la Sam in Sex in the City, I decided that before I loose my hair and other body parts, I was going to splurge and get a magazine photographer to photograph me in all sorts of glamor shots celebrating my body.

Friday - I got there terribly nervous. Luckily, he gave me two Irish Coffees (emphasis on the Irish part), and after a shot of vodka (all before 11 in the morning) I had pretty much calmed down. There was a makeup artist who did a great job doing my hair and covering all the zits that sprung up with all the stress. I have blurred the photo a bit to make it more appropriate, but it was actually very fun and liberating.

The photographer I think is going to continue photographing me through this entire process, but this is the last one I am going to post ;) Considering that it is a disease that 1 in 8 women will get, I think it is important that there are more images, especially of younger women, and what will happen to their bodies.


Saturday- I got up and chopped off my hair. I am going to wear it short for the first time in my life for about two weeks, and then get a pixie hair cut right before it starts to fall out. Once it starts going, I think I am just going to have Luis shave it for me. Never ever thought I would ask my husband to shave my head, but things change.


Today - Chemo attacks all fast growing cells, which include cancer, hair follicles, bone marrow, and the lining of your mouth. My taste buds are going to go, and pretty much everything is going to taste like crap (bitter, metallic, or just too salty). As my white blood cell count is going to go down, I can't eat raw foods, so I went out with my friend Julie this evening and gorged myself on sushi, as I will be deprived of it for 6 months and probably would gag on it anyway if I tried to eat it.

It was wonderful. I had two orders of Japanese Mackeral, which I got hooked on in Japan.

Tomorrow- First day of chemo and my mom arrives!

4 comments:

  1. Dana, I love your photo and don't think it could possibly be inappropriate. I love the way it reads on Facebook. You look beautiful, and strong, and sad, and hurt, and vulnerable and bring-it-on pissed all at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dana - I am so impressed with you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dana, it sounds like you are handing it pretty well. Don't worry about Chemo, you will do fine. Let me know how I can help you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Danita,
    I feel so proud to be your friend!!
    xoxoxo
    Martha

    ReplyDelete