Sunday, February 15, 2009

Lazy Sunday and my Chemo Cocktail


I am still learning a LOT about chemo. I mentioned in the last post some people were interestd in the drugs themselves. But for those who need a chemo primer, bottom line is that chemo interferes with cancer cells so that they can’t reproduce. Cancer cells are constantly dividing; that’s how they grow and spread. If you can stop them from dividing, their growth stops, they can’t spread, and they’re effectively killed.

I am on a dose dense chemo cocktial of AC. Dose Dense means that since I have a good heart (as these babies damage your heart), I can take chemo every two weeks rather than every three weeks. AC means the two drugs Adriamycin®, which fights cancer cells by altering its DNA and Cytoxan®, which interferes with the cells’ metabolism. After four cycles, or 8 weeks, they are going to switch me to Taxol®, which prevent cancer cells from dividing. And then I think I am going to get Herceptin®, a drug used to treat certain types of “receptive” cancers, blocks cell division. My type of tumor is very recpetiveto HER2, which is typical of aggressive cacners.

Okay, so almost one week on chemo. Most interesting is that I am thirsty all the time. No matter what, my mouth is always dry. I leave the house and walk the dog for 20 minutes, and I come back completely parched. Like hiking in the desert without a canteen. Always need to be drinking.

Kenjichan had a great suggestion of putting protein in the water, which I need, because I have lost 3 lbs in 5 days. I don't feel like I am not eating, but I guess since you always feel a little nauseous, you don't snack, I can't drink wine (which I did everyday!), and I am off the birth control. But I don't want to loose anymore weight! I get so cold already, if loose more lbs I am going to be freezing all the time.

Concerning the hair loss, I am completely obsessing over it. Every second I think it going to be the moment where all my hair follicles die. I ran my hands through my hair last night, and I saw some hairs come out, so I freaked and started pulling to see if they would just come right out of my skull, but nothing. I think it was just normal shedding. He he he. Going to order some cool Isreali head scarves today, so I have them when it happens.

So now some normal life news.

Today is my gorgeous amazing husband's birthday! We are going out to a BBQ (after I take a nap) and then we are opening up presents. I had thought that I was going to be able to continue with my social life regardless of the cancer, but I just found out I can't! It sucks!

Since chemo attacks the cells that are dividing (hair), that means it is also going to target my bone marrow. Which means my white blood cell count is gonna drop. Which means I can't be exposed to germs. Which means I can't be around kids, or people with colds, or well, people in general. Which is great, because I can legitimately hire a housekeeper as a medical expense, but it means that in a couple of weeks no more movies, no more parties, no more grocery shopping! Unless I wear one of those SARS masks.

I might just get the outfit too!


Quote of the day: “Cancer’s not so bad, but the treatment’s a killer!”

4 comments:

  1. Ha ha ha, Danita, I can just see you wearing that as you stroll by the cereal alley! ;) I am glad you mentioned what AC was - I was getting ready to ask. I hope you have a good Luis´birthday celebration. If he remembers me, tell him I said hello. Sigue fuerte y bella como siempre, Danita, y mantenme al tanto de todo. Pienso en ti mucho estos días. Espero que mi energía te esté llegando. Abrazos! NM

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dana. You are learning things really fast! You don't even need me anymore!!! Anyhow, I am familiar with 2 of the chemo you are currently taking now -- I took those for myself for about 6-11 months. As for masks, you can get TB mask called N95. Don't by normal ones, those are useless. Make sure to wash your and your husband (or anyone in freq contact) all the time. As for protein, make sure to take frequently, not exceeding 30g per intake.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Dana all I want to say I wish you well this is Mansha Mikhails mother

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha. That outfit is scary. Bet you would look great in it though.

    ReplyDelete