Wednesday, February 25, 2009

The Dog


So in the beginning of January I rescued a dog.

Seemingly off topic, I know, but as I feel like vomiting (had chemo yesterday) and every time I reach up to scratch my head my hair sprinkles all over my desk, I thought I would focus on this.

Ever since we got to Texas I have been searching on Craigslist for a dog. I think it got started after I read Marley and Me. I never really even thought about a dog before. Luis hates dogs, so the looking wasn't serious, but I was just seeing what was out there.

I was going through the listings (95% are pitbull or pitbull mixes) and I saw a rescue group that raised funds and did other such things. Since Luis wouldn't allow me a dog (the stink, demand to much attention, we already have two cats, etc etc) I thought that was a way I could be involved with canines.

I then got a list of dogs that were going to be euthanized THAT afternoon at Irving Shelter at 5:00 pm. While on Craigslist, I had seen a lot of people that acting as foster homes for dogs to give them a little more time, so I decided to give it a try. Next thing I knew, I had Chomsky.

Chomsky had been found at a construction site tangled up in a bunch of wire. He was brought to the pound and was there for three weeks, but the shelters fill fast, and it was his turn.

I brought him home and adored him. Luis had been gone for weeks with different conferences, a trip home to see his family, and it really made my day to have someone(thing) that was always waiting for me, always happy to see me, and always up to hang out when I wanted to, or content to chill out when I didn't. I love my cats, but it isn't as so they act completely stoked to see me every morning.

So I got used to having a dog. Luis came home, and didn't kill me after I promised it was temporary, but then I posted him up on Craigslist, and all the people the contacted me were kind of nuts or wanted a 50 lbs dog in a studio apartment or wanted a really aggressive dog, which he is not.

And then I got my diagnosis, and then mom came, and now I had pressure from two sides to get rid of him quickly (I was taking my time because I enjoyed Chomsky so much), so I posted him to Craigslist again, and got an overwhelming response, and it three days, Chomsky was with a new family. I am bummed out because I miss always having someone to snuggle with on the sofa and having someone who doesn't care if I shower or not, but Luis enjoys me much more because I don't smell like dog, and I am happy because Chomsky is going to much happier in a home with a yard.

So anyway, here are some photos of me and Chomsky.

A Friends Son and Chomsky


No comments:

Post a Comment