Wednesday, February 4, 2009

A second opinion

Well, today was a bit of a shit.

I sought a second opinion, who told me that I shouldn't be f'ing around with fertility and my tumor was so aggressive, I caught it at a very late stage, and he wants me on chemo yesterday. Although it was shitty, I decided to change to him rather than staying with the doctors at the Presbyterian Hospital in Dallas. Several reasons:

1) Because of the aggressive nature of my tumor, I was eligible for a clinical study, which is what I was going to do at Presbyterian. Dr. Khan said my tumor is so aggressive and already moving into the lymph nodes on my neck, that to waste time with all the tests required before joining the study is endangering my health.

2) Even waiting until next week to collect my eggs is endangering my health. Which is fine, but I needed someone to tell me that. Me not being alive eliminates the needs for embryos, right?

3) He didn't like the chemo drugs there were going to put me on, he said they were a bit old school. Well, he didn't really say that, but he implied it.

4) The man got ON THE PHONE WITH MY INSURANCE COMPANY RIGHT IN FRONT ME to make sure they covered the pet scan to determine the stage of my tumor, which Presbyterian said I didn't need.

Not sure which is right, but you gotta go with your gut, and my gut said Khaaaaan! Okay, only the Trekkies would have got that reference . . .

You have no f'ing idea how exhausting it is talking about cancer all day long. I feel like it is all I do.

7 comments:

  1. The most aggressive treatment is the best way to go against this beast. We are all pulling for you down here. The blog is wonderful, but remember to take care of yourself first. Love you - The Russell Crowd

    ReplyDelete
  2. Khan sounds like House. Go with the gut. It'll work out :>)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kirk - Wrath of Khan (1982) haven't seen that in a long time, but it's a famous scene. We're thinking about you and wishing you well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry - it got my work email... it's Steve

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dana, trying to honor your "You have no f'ing idea how exhausting it is talking about cancer all day long" but not dragging you thru it for the hundredth time. You KNOW we are there for you! Gerry

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would go with Khan as well, Danita. Sé fuerte! Nina

    ReplyDelete